Wednesday, April 29, 2009

California Dreaming

For the past week or so I seem to have managed to completely invert my bodyclock - I am currently on US pacific time.

I'm working on a book at the moment and also working on a slightly surreal project involving music on TV which is so weird and newfangled that the hours are strangely irregular. Sometimes I'll go to work at 7pm, sometimes I'll be paid to not go to 'work' at all and instead go off and experience stuff which will come in useful in building the format of the show.

Still, the weird TV hours aside, I work better in the quiet of the night. There are less distractions in the wee small hours and I find the solitude focuses me in a way my lousy self-discipline cortices never have been able to.

The curious side effect of this has been that I rarely now go to bed before 7am, at which point it is already light outside. And as I'm already a light sleeper, I now persistently wake up at intervals. It seems to mean that I am almost constantly in a dreamstate and have been having this amazing episodic dream for the past few days.

When I return to sleep I seem to pick up the action from where I leave off, my waking moments becoming the ad breaks to the main feature. Except nobody really wants to buy me visiting the bathroom or getting a glass of water or (shamefully admits) checking my twitter account and emails.

It's an excellent yarn though - a murder mystery thriller that should be terrifying but isn't. I am in control in the dreams as well as being a detached observer. The colours are vivid, the action well paced and the dialogue sharp. Just wish I could remember most of it when I wake up so I can write the hit series! Bringing a notepad to bed tonight, which I am forcing myself to do early as I have too much practical stuff requiring opening hours to do tomorrow to sleep till three pm again.

But then I said that yesterday.......

No comments:

Post a Comment